Grading for Faculty
At the close of each semester, faculty must use the PAWS web portal to submit grades.
- Select Classes Tab
- Select Submit Grades
- Select Term
- Select CRN
- Enter ALL grades on your class roster. You must enter a grade for each student listed on your roster.
- Note: Enter a grade even if the student WITHDREW. (The date is on the roster.)
- Degree-seeking undergraduates who withdrew must be given a grade of PW (Pending Withdrawal). The grade of PW will be changed to either W or WF depending on how many withdrawals the student has used. Graduate students and non-degree-seeking undergraduates who withdrew must be given either a W or a WF.
- If you assign a grade of “F” to a student, please enter the last date of attendance in the date field on the grade submission page.
- Submit grades. (Hint: Click the submit button often to prevent being timed out.)
Note: A grade cannot be recorded for a student who is not on your class roster.
Do a Final Check: To ensure that you have submitted grades for all of your courses and all of your students, click on the “Check Grade Submission Status” link on PAWS:
- Select a term
- All courses assigned to you will be listed. If there is a “yes” under the submitted column, you have successfully submitted your grades.
- If “no” appears, click on the course CRN and enter the grades. Once the grades have been entered, the status will change to “yes.”
Please submit all grades on time. Please save yourself and your department extra work by submitting all of your grades by the deadline.
An “NR” grade – no grade reported – will be entered by the Office of the Registrar for all grades not submitted by the deadline.
Non-reported grades cause many issues for students to progress:
- Students cannot register for courses that have a prerequisite.
- Students’ financial aid eligibility and progress cannot be determined for their upcoming semester.
- Students cannot report accurate academic standing and could be restricted in their continuous enrollment and for outside scholarships.
- Student’s academic records and transcripts will not be updated, and they may be unable to transfer or receive additional funding from an employer.
- Candidates for graduation may not have their degrees conferred and may not be eligible to continue their education, gain employment or become certified in their field.
Please prevent these problems for your students, by submitting grades on time. Grade deadlines for each term are posted on the Academic Calendar.
If an “NR” grade is entered the instructor will have to submit a Grade Adjustment Form for each student. If you miss the deadline and have to submit a late grade, you must log in to PAWS and select the Classes tab to access the grade adjustment form and procedure. Please note: Your department chair and college dean will be informed of all missing grades.
After official grading for the term has occurred, grade adjustments must be submitted by signing on to the secured faculty portal on PAWS/Go SOLAR. Grade Adjustment Instructions [PDF] and the official form can be obtained on the site. Please follow all steps for the grade adjustment process. Faculty must use a Georgia State email account to send the form, and must obtain all department approvals.
Please note that grade adjustments must be done individually, since all academic history for the term, including grade point averages and academic standing, have been computed and data rolled to the student’s academic history record during the official grading process for the term. Therefore, additional steps are necessary for processing within an individual student’s record and only the student can view the change on their academic record.