Grade Appeals and Changes

A course grade that has been reported by the instructor to the Registrar and recorded cannot be changed except in the following circumstances:

  1. Error in grade. If a student believes that there is an error in a grade, the student should discuss the situation with the instructor. A request for a change of grade assigned by an instructor who has left the university should be addressed to the chair of the department.
  2. Removal of an Incomplete. A student receiving a grade of I (incomplete) is expected to consult with the instructor within the prescribed time limit and to complete all necessary work.  The period of time given to a student to remove a grade of I is established by the instructor, subject only to the maximum time limit set by the university.  The university requires that a grade of I be removed no later than the end of the second academic term after the grade of I was assigned (whether or not the student was enrolled during these two terms).  The Office of the Registrar will assign a grade of F at the end of the second academic term unless the Office of the Registrar receives an approved grade change request from the instructor.  (If the student enrolled for S/U grading, a U will be assigned.)  The instructor may or may not change this F/U to an authorized academic grade (i.e., A, B, C, D, S or WF) but may not change it back to I.  Instructors may not change I to a W unless a Hardship Withdrawal is awarded.  In exceptional cases, departments may authorize students to have I grade for more than two semesters.  Such authorizations must be approved by the department chair.  The authorization to extend I beyond two semesters must be renewed each semester.  Students need not to be enrolled to complete assignments for a course in which a grade of I has been assigned.  Auditing or retaking the same course will not remove a grade of I.  No student may graduate with an incomplete grade.

Grade Appeals

Please refer to the Student Code of Conduct at and the University Catalogs, section 1050.80 Student Complaints, Petitions for Policy Waivers and Variances, and Appeals.