Repeat-to-Replace Policy and Application

Repeat-to-Replace Courses Policy

  • Before requesting to apply the repeat-to-replace policy, a student must have retaken the same undergraduate course (or the renumbered substitute for that course) at Georgia State and earned a higher grade in the course retaken.
  • A graduating student in their final semester may request repeat-to-replace for a course repeated during the intended semester of graduation within the first two weeks of the start of the semester. Such requests will only be honored if the student needs a higher grade in the course to graduate and the course was previously taken.
  • This application must be submitted after the repeated course is graded for all students not in their final semester.
  • The student must be in their first undergraduate degree at Georgia State University.
  • The repeated course must be taken beginning Fall 2011 or later.
  • The grade replacing the former must be a higher grade.
  • No more than four course grades total (from four different courses) may be replaced and excluded from the Institutional GPA.
  • Only the first grade can be replaced (i.e. if the student took a course three times, only one of the subsequent can replace the first).
  • Grades for all attempts of the course will appear on the student’s official transcript regardless of whether or not the grade has been excluded from the student’s GPA.
  • This policy has no effect on any GPA requirements set by state or federal laws/regulations (such as the GPA requirements set by the HOPE scholarship program).
  • A copy of the request and approval will become part of the student’s permanent record.
  • This policy does not apply if the original grade was assigned as a result of a violation of the Academic Honesty policy.
  • Students may not use this policy to replace grades awarded prior to semester conversion.

Before submitting the form, please confirm that the final grade for the course you repeated has been posted to your academic record. Forms cannot be processed until a final grade is posted. Please refer to the Academic Calendar on when final grades are posted for each term. Forms will be accepted after that time.